Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. Here at The Trust we take our Safeguarding responsibilities very seriously. As a responsible housing provider, we have an important role in to play in keeping people safe.
The Trust is committed to Safeguarding adults who use or are connected to our services and to protecting them from abuse or neglect.
What do mean by Safeguarding adults?
‘Safeguarding’ is the term used to describe the protection of adults in terms of health, well-being and their human rights, which allows them to live free from abuse, harm and neglect.
The Safeguarding duties set out in the Care Act 2014 apply to any adult (any person aged 18 or over) who:
- Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)
- Is experiencing, or is at the risk of abuse and neglect, and
- As a result of those needs is unable to protect him or her against abuse or neglect or the risk of it.
What can I do if I have any concerns about Safeguarding adults?
In you live in Buckinghamshire, you can find more information via Buckinghamshire Council’s website: http://www.buckinghamshirepartnership.gov.uk/safeguarding-adults-board/information-for-the-public/ or if you would like to make a report if you are being abused or suspect someone you know may be being used then you can refer directly via: http://www.buckinghamshirepartnership.gov.uk/safeguarding-adults-board/information-for-the-public/how-to-report-abuse/
If you are a Trust resident in Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire or Oxfordshire then you can find out more information about Safeguarding adults and make referrals via the links below:
- Hertfordshire: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/adult-social-services/report-a-concern-about-an-adult/hertfordshire-safeguarding-adults-board/hertfordshire-safeguarding-adults-board.aspx
- Northamptonshire: https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/adult-social-care/safeguarding/pages/default.aspx
- Oxfordshire: https://www2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/node/221035
You can also make us aware of any Safeguarding concerns you might have about a Trust resident via our email: StepUpStepIn@vaht.co.uk or contact us on 01296 732600.
Safeguarding children and young people
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people who use or are connected to our services and to protecting them from abuse or neglect.
What do we mean by Safeguarding children and young people?
In terms of Safeguarding, a child is anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday. The fact that a child has reached 16 years of age, is living independently or is in further education, is a member of the armed forces, is in hospital or in custody in the secure estate, does not change his or her status or entitlements to service or protection.
Safeguarding is a term which is broader than ‘child protection’ and relates to the action taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm. Safeguarding is defined in ‘Working Together to Safeguard Children’ (2018) as:
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children’s health and development
- Ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care and…
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes
What can I do if I have any concerns about Safeguarding children and young people?
In you live in Buckinghamshire, you can find more information via Buckinghamshire Council’s website: https://www.bucksscp.org.uk/ or if you would like to make a report if you are concerned about the welfare of a child in Buckinghamshire: https://www.bucksscp.org.uk/concerned-about-child/
If you are a Trust resident in Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire or Oxfordshire then you can find out more information about Safeguarding children & young people and make referrals via the links below:
- Hertfordshire: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/Childrens-social-care/Child-protection/Hertfordshire-Safeguarding-Children-Partnership/hscp.aspx
- Northamptonshire: http://www.northamptonshirescb.org.uk/
- Oxfordshire: https://www.oscb.org.uk/
You can also make us aware of any Safeguarding concerns you might have about children & young people living in our homes or connected to our services via our email: StepUpStepIn@vaht.co.uk or contact us on 01296 732600.